I based the design of this candle holder from the Design Excellence’s World Cup where you’ll download a 2D drawing in PDF format and execute it in Autodesk Inventor. I still can’t figure out how to make the darn base but since Christmas is getting a lot nearer, I just made my own one. This was rendered in Inventor Studio. I used the background image from Visual Paradox as a Scene Style and turned off the Shadows and the Reflections.
As I was preparing my slides for tomorrow’s class for the Autodesk Inventor Customized training, I’ve had some problems logging in to the Vault. Everytime I logged in, a dialog box appears saying that the active project is not a vault project. But it is a vault project. Then, I learned from one of the former AE’s in our office that the project file has an XML data. Thus, I tried opening it in Notepad and tweaked it manually after referring to the XML data of the other project files. Still, there was no effect. The problem persisted. However, this morning, I was able to solve the problem.
Content Center Files folder should be within the same level of hierarchy as that of the Workspace folder (e.g. C:\Vault\Content Center Files, C:\Vault\Workspace). I can’t remember anything like that mentioned in the PDF file that I was reading previously. This should already get me to the habit of managing my Inventor data with Vault.
In creating this tower of power or the chess piece rather, I have used Autodesk Inventor’s time-saving tool which is the Design Accelerator. I used the Shaft Generator component of Design Accelerator for the basic profile of the chess piece. Afterwards, I applied two revolved cuts for the curved and the tapered cylindrical surfaces of the chess piece. Then, I applied a cut over the top-most surface where a square was drawn and then applied a circular pattern so that I would have 10 occurrences of the cut portion. This was rendered in Inventor Studio using the Pleasant lighting.
Here’s a picture of a rendered assembly of iPod Nano that I did in Autodesk Inventor. I used the assembly-centric method (otherwise known as the top-down assembly). I started first with the blue cover on top. In reality, there are only two colors available for iPod Nano and those are black and white. Actually, I was supposed to use the color white but when I tried rendering it in Autodesk Inventor, I had problems in creating a lighting that would really show the “whiteness” of the cover. Then, I made the LCD screen where I didn’t chose to put a decal on it. Afterwards, I made the click wheel. Those with the Play/Pause, Forward to one track, and reverse to one track signs are created using the Extrude feature. As for the menu, I used the Emboss feature of Autodesk Inventor. At first, I attempted creating a sketch on the top surface of the clickwheel where the text MENU is placed. Then, I started to experience problems when I tried to click on the sketch after clicking Emboss. What happened is that the top face of the click wheel was being highlighted instead of the sketch containing the text. Continue reading “Emboss Tips for Starters”
The image above was rendered using Inventor Studio. In the assembly file, there is a decal on the LCD screen. Unfortunately, Inventor Studio does not have the capability of rendering decals. This has been one of my problems in using Inventor. However, this Q&A about rendering decals has answered my question. The one who answered the question suggested to use the Surface Styles in Autodesk Inventor and use a bitmap file as a texture. All you have to do is to adjust the scale of the bitmap. When experimenting with it, I’ve had problems in being able to put the texture in just one face because that is the one where I’d like the decal to appear. The material selection in Inventor Studio is only enabled for the whole part and not just for the face of a part.
This is a rendered image of a USB Flash drive assembly that I designed using Autodesk Inventor. It was rendered using Inventor Studio. I just used the default camera view and shop lighting as my lighting style. The scene style is a customized one where I only tweaked the offset and the gradient color. The design of the USB Flash drive is based on the one that I got from CD-R King in Makati. The dimensions were just mere approximations and getting a vernier caliper should not be an option since it will take time measuring and reading it. Also, the decals (stickers and labels) were not included since they won’t appear in the rendered image. What I wanted to do is to create a top-down assembly by creating a new assembly file and creating all the parts in the assembly file.